Wednesday, August 30, 2006

My new pad





Well, it's 1:30 in the morning here, and I'm sitting in the bottom of my new apartment building sipping a mango smoothie (I'll let you know if I get sick; they're chunks of really good mango in it). I moved today! Yay! No more horrendous Cairo traffic or pressing crowds. Zamalek, the island I'm on, is so European, quiet and shady with graceful avenues and a too many embassies. It's not paradise, but it's seems like an oasis in the midst of the pollution bowl that is Cairo. My apartment is wonderful! I have my own bedroom with a big bed, basically my own bathroom (my roommates only come in to use the washer), a beautiful view of the Nile and a mosque across the river, and a cool breeze from the river, plus, of course, air conditioning. It's huge! There's a spacious dining room with a table that seats six, a large living room with seating for 10, satellite TV with mostly Arabic music videos, three bedrooms, two baths, and a lanai. My clothes actually have a home, and my bras have their own drawer (pause to wipe the tears from my eyes). We have the sweetest maid, Selwa, who doesn't speak a word of English, but comes to clean once a week and does a very thorough job. I'm literally only about two blocks from the Zamalek dorms, but I'm allowed male guests ;-) There's a sporting club on the island that I've heard offers horseback riding lessons. I think I may check that out in the next few days and see if I can sign up. Right now I"m going to finish unpacking and get some good sleep. Bye!

No comments: